Tuesday, January 8, 2008

4.5 Months

Baby Jack is growing so fast!

At his four month check up, he weighed 17 lbs (less than what registered on my home scale) and was just over 29 inches long. 75th percentile for weight, and 90th percentile for height. Like N., he's all torso. As is standard for my babies at 4 months old, two teeth have broken through on the bottom. Little sweetheart that he is, he's taking it like a pro. I have given him grape flavored infant Tylenol a couple of times which he found to be absolutely delicious.

He is so, so, laid back. Smiley. Friendly. Cuddly. A really nice guy I'd say - which is wonderful for me as his brothers have been a bit of a challenge lately!




His sleeping is....well....that of a baby I guess. We run around so much during the day, he takes lots of little cat naps in his car seat. Poor thing has such a hard time taking a good nap at home while N. and R are around because they are SO LOUD all the time! It's weird. He'll sleep through the vacuum, the phones ringing, the occasional raising of my voice (read: yelling) at his brothers, but he can't stand to sleep through the rumpus of the big boys who are very boisterous and physical in their play together. Anyway, he'll go down for the night around 8pm and then wake up around 12am, 4am, and 7am for bottles. The 4am wake-up is really just to keep us on our toes, and make sure that we don't get to that *good deep sleep* as he never finishes more than an ounce or so, but INSISTS on having a bottle just the same. I was trying to hold out until the 5 month mark to start giving him cereal, but if a little snack before bed would get him to sleep longer - I'd be fine with that.


I'll start with rice....as the doctor suggests.....but if he thinks it's gross (and really, can you blame him?) I'll go with what the other boys liked: organic baby oat cereal mixed with formula, a little bit of applesauce, and just the tiniest sprinkling of cinnamon. Mmmm. Much better.







I love to hear him laugh. There's really nothing more adorable than the laughter of a little fuzzy headed, slobbering creature with twinkling eyes.(as an aside: his eyes are NOT BLUE! How fun! Something different!) Provided of course, that the creature is a baby. He thinks his brothers are hysterical, and the feeling is mutual now that he has started "speaking" in a series of high pitched raspberries. I have a hard time getting him to smile for the camera though. He's just too interested in the camera itself to laugh at his Mommy, who is inevitably making goofy faces and cooing at him.


So many mothers have wondered, when expecting a new baby, how they will love this baby as much as they love their other children. What can I say? You just do. So, so much. This little guy is wonderful. Everything I could ever dream to have in a baby.

1 comment:

nb said...

How can you love another baby so much? Easy -- 'cause the others turned into LITTLE MONSTERS while you weren't looking!

I am not a baby person. Well, I like other people's babies, but not...hey, that sounds wrong. I mean, I like little kids (even monsters) more than babies. And my 3rd baby was not only a surprise, but a miserable pregnancy, and then so NOT a fun cuddly sweet easygoing baby and well on her way toward being a testy toddler. I'm *so* done with babies.

But despite all that? I still LOVE the darned little thing to bits, tough as she makes it sometimes. We're Moms, we're wired that way. We love our babies against all odds (in my case, perhaps even because of them). And babies, for all their trouble, are just so darned LOVABLE.

Love isn't a limited resource like brainpower or energy or patience. We never run out of it. The more there is to love, the more we produce. And Jack obviously is a gusher!