Friday, October 5, 2007

A Good Day

Over the summer, I met a really cool Mom at swimming lessons. We seemed to click right away and chatted about our kids and also about highlights, lipstick, photography (we have the same camera!), and other girly things that we have yet to surrender since becoming Mommies. She has 3 boys who are all approximately the same ages as my boys with her youngest being 4 months old. We exchanged phone numbers and made plans to get together once my baby was born and things settled down.
Before we had a chance to get together - we ran into each other at one of our weekly soccer games. Her oldest plays too.

Anyway, this morning we met up at the park with my youngest two (BB at school) and all three of her boys - her oldest goes to kindergarten in the afternoon. We all had such a nice time! We chatted, drank coffee, and coo'd at each other's babies while the older kids played. The best part was that LB managed to behave himself as he often does when he's away from his big brother.

It was a pretty basic outing, but it was just what I needed - to get out of the house, be social, get out of my head, and just enjoy my kids. I held the baby while pushing LB on the swing, called out encouraging words while he made his way across the monkey bars yelling "Mommy! Watch me! Watch me!" all the way across. I really loved it. It made me realize that I don't do this enough. Somewhere along the line I put Big Al in charge of the fun stuff. He takes them to the park, I cook their food. He plays with them outside, I wash their clothes. He takes them to the coffee shop for hot chocolate, while I change the sheets on their beds. It's my own fault. I think that at some point I wanted a break from playing....and now maybe.....just maybe....I want back in.

No comments: