Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day of Kindergarten!


What a day. All five of us were at school bright and early for Big Boy's first day. New backpack? Check. New outfit? Check. New shoes? Check. The parking situation was a nightmare - making me really thankful for the fact that starting tomorrow, we don't have to be there until 10am as oppossed to 8:45am when the whole entire school arrives. At first it was all excitement and smiles, but once I gave him a hug and a kiss and told him we'd be back in a few hours, he started to tear up.....and then so did I. To make matters worse - LB was absolutely falling apart at the thought of being separated from his brother. "NO!!! (sobbing) I MISS BB!! I MISS BB!! What will I DO?!?! GO GET HIM!!!! WHERE IS HE?!?!?!?" Anyway, I did my best to keep it together....it was more than traumatic for me to leave my big-on-the-outside, little-on-the-inside gentle boy there while there were tears streaming down his face. I have to give him credit though....as he went inside, clearly fighting back the tears, he sat down with some other little boys and began to play with blocks. What a strong boy. When we picked him up, he seemed happy and said that he had made a new friend. When I asked him whether he was going to be ready to come back to kindergarten tomorrow he said "Oh, sure I can!"



Consoling his brother---------->
<-------Trying to be strong for his Mommy...note the red eyes.
Anyway, overall I'd say it was successful. Now *I* just have to get used to the fact that he has somewhere he needs to be every single day!

2 comments:

MommaWriter said...

Yay! Congrats to BB on his first day of school! Honestly, the hardest part for me has been figuring out what in the world to do with Mam while Smunch is at school. And she doesn't want to go shopping. She doesn't want to run errands. She just wants to sit on the floor and have my undivided attention playing Candyland or Chutes and Ladders, or Matching or Go Fish...it goes on and on... On the other hand, she wasn't in the least bit upset about not having *her* big brother around. It's *so* sweet that LB was so distraught about losing his playmate. I betcha he gets over it quickly...you know, once you're all recovered and can get up from the floor where you've been playing Candyland for the last hour and a half!

nb said...

Kindergarten -- an amazing transition! Go Big Boy!

But it's a bigger transition for the moms -- and apparently, for the whole family, in LB's case. My kindergartner's siblings don't seem to notice his absence at all, unless you count playing happily on your own without being bothered all the time.

For the moms, it's the seriousness of it all. Your life now revolves around the school's schedule. And it's a permanent transition: now he's a schoolkid, and his daily job is to go to school, and your daily job is to get him there. We're two weeks into it and are still adjusting bigtime.

I hear it's even harder when the youngest kid starts K than when the oldest one does. Fortunately for you, that's a *long* ways off!